- 27 teams comprising faculty and non-faculty members and students to be awarded
- More than 500 teams participated for the Lilavati Awards
The All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) on Tuesday would be giving away the 2nd Lilavati Awards that are aimed at celebrating Women Empowerment. The event would be graced by the Union Minister for Women & Child Development, Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani, who would be addressing the winners online. Named after the great mathematician Lilavati, this year 27 teams comprising faculty and non-faculty members and students will be getting the award for contribution in eight fields of work.
The AICTE had received a huge response and almost 500 teams participated, out of which 27 teams of faculty members, non-teaching staff, and students have been awarded for their contribution towards a more equitable society.
Commenting on the Lilavati Awards, AICTE Chairman, Prof. Anil Sahasrabudhe, said: “We were absolutely overwhelmed with the response that we got for the Lilavati Awards. More than 500 teams participated and we had a tough time selecting the 27 best teams. The award intends to create an ambiance of ‘equality and fairness for women in all institutions regulated by AICTE. By this initiative, all the stakeholders (especially the girl students) would get a distinctive opportunity to work on and present a solution to the prevalent issues of gender discrimination, such as illiteracy, malnutrition, unemployment, economic and digital disparities, maternal mortality, human rights, etc. Also, teams comprising mainly of female members can showcase their contributions/successful efforts towards creating an all-inclusive, gender-sensitive, and empowering ecosystem.”
The awards would be given away in the following areas of work:
- Women and Adolescent Health-Issues related to nutrition, pre & post-natal complications, maternal mortality, breast/ovarian & cervical cancer, pregnancy issues, depression and anxiety, child care,
- Self Defence-Training/awareness programs for safety measures, Girl child safety, domestic violence, workplace harassment, confidence-building programs,
- Environment, Sanitation & Hygiene-Menstrual hygiene, home & environment hygiene,
- Literacy and Life Skills- Basic education, digital literacy, awareness against taboos, etc.
- Women Entrepreneurship-Financial safety, business opportunities, govt. schemes, credit,
- Legal Awareness-Women rights & duties, gender equality in society & workplace.
- Technology for Women-Technology integration, device, data availability & access, prevention of cybercrimes etc.
- Women Innovators (Rural/Urban)- Any Innovation felicitating access, equity, equality, and affordability for women.
The awards will continue to motivate and inspire others to create an all-inclusive ambiance, a just and fair society, and thereby create a better nation.
Photo Credit: Leverage Edu