By Abhishek Patil, CEO Co-Founder Skholar (Oliveboard).
UPSC CSE GS 2 Mains paper yet again proves that civil services exam demands not a good rote memory but the ability to interrelate and analyze multiple aspects, facts and examples linked to the issue.
A detailed section-wise analysis of GS 2 paper clearly shows how UPSC is encapsulating issues that requires thorough understanding of Issues and extensive Newspaper analysis of past 1 year.
|Polity & Constitution||Q 1||Moderate||10|
1. “There is a need for simplification of procedure for disqualification of persons found guilty of corrupt practices under the Representation of peoples Act”. Comment.
2. “Recent amendments to the Right to information Act will have profound impact on the autonomy and independence of the Information Commission”. Discuss
3. How far do you think cooperation, competition and confrontation have shaped the nature of federation in India? Cite some recent examples to validate your answer.
4. The judicial systems in India and UK seem to be converging as well as diverging in the recent times. Highlight the key points of convergence and divergence between the two nations in terms of their judicial practices.
5. “Once a speaker, Always a speaker’! Do you think the practice should be adopted to impart objectivity to the office of the Speaker of Lok Sabha? What could be its implications for the robust functioning of parliamentary business in India.
11. Indian constitution exhibits centralizing tendencies to maintain unity and integrity of the nation. Elucidate in the perspective of the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897; The Disaster Management Act, 2005 and recently passed Farm Acts.
12. Judicial Legislation is antithetical to the doctrine of separation of powers as envisaged in the Indian Constitution. In this context justify the filing of large number of public interest petitions praying for issuing guidelines to executive authorities.
13. The strength sustenance of local institutions in India has shifted from their formative phase of ‘Functions, Functionaries and Funs’ to the contemporary stage of ‘Functionality’. Highlight the critical challenges faced by local institutions in terms of their functionality in recent times.
14. Rajya Sabha has been transformed from a ‘useless stepney tyre’ to the most useful supporting organ in past few decades. Highlight the factors as well as the areas in which this transformation could be visible.
15. Which steps are required for constitutionalizing of a commission? Do you think imparting constitutionality to the National Commission for Women would ensure greater gender justice and empowerment in India? Give reasons.
1. Polity section tested aspirant’s conceptual understanding and articulation skills for effective time management to deal with lengthy issues asked in the questions.
2. Keeping up with the trend, questions based on recent legislations on RTI, farm laws, etc. were asked. Hence newspaper editorial analysis is a must.
3. To a great extent the questions were analytical in nature, demanding the aspirants to link recent developments with fundamental concepts.
4. Overall this section of the paper falls under the Difficult category.
7. “Institutional quality is a crucial driver of economic performance”. In this context suggest reforms in Civil Service for strengthening democracy.
8. “The emergence of Fourth Industrial Revolution (Digital Revolution) has initiated e-Governance as an integral part of government”. Discuss.
1. Questions were direct in nature and of moderate level, though quoting good examples like Supreme Court Judgements for question 7 and e-Governance initiatives for question 8 would be necessary to stand out from the rest.
|Social Justice||Q 6||Moderate||10|
6. In order to enhance the prospects of social development, sound and adequate health care policies are needed particularly in the fields of geriatric and maternal health care. Discuss.
16. “The incidence and intensity of poverty are more important in determining poverty based on income alone”. In this context analyze the latest United Nations Multidimensional Poverty Index Report.
17. “Micro-Finance as an anti-poverty vaccine, is aimed at asset creation and income security of the rural poor in India”. Evaluate the role of Self-Help Groups in achieving the twin objectives along with empowering women in rural India.
18. National Education Policy 2020 is in conformity with the Sustainable Development Goal-4 (2030). It intends to restructure and reorient education system in India. Critically examine the statement.
1. Questions on Social Justice section was a mix of static and current affairs-based topics. Hence NCERT coverage along with proper current affairs analysis is what was required.
2. The questions were more of moderate level but can also be looked upon as mini essays. As such writing practice of the candidates will be a big factor.
|International Relations||Q 9||Moderate||10|
9. Critically examine the role of WHO in providing global health security during the COVID-19 pandemic.
10. ‘Indian diaspora has a decisive role to play in the politics and economy of America and European Countries’. Comment with examples.
19. ‘Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (QUAD)’ is the transforming itself into a trade bloc from a military alliance, in present times – Discuss.
20. What is the significance of Indo-US defence deals over Indo-Russian defence deals? Discuss with reference to stability in the Indo-Pacific region.
1. Consistent with previous years trend, the questions on International Relations were on dynamic topics requiring good command over current affairs.
2. The questions while were moderate in difficulty but it also required multiple points to be presented in brief, if possible, with current examples.
Overall, this year’s GS 2 Mains paper was lengthy and analytical in nature. Hence,spirants ability to articulate answers well within word limit was tested . Like prelims, Comprehensive NCERT coverage is also now a must for Mains. There is a clear predilection towards questions based on recent issues in news and the paper is testing how well an aspirant has studied editorial analysis of past 1 year.