New Delhi, 1st Nov, 2021: International Institute of Sports Management (IISM), a pioneering sports management venture founded by former India cricketer Nilesh Kulkarni, was today bestowed with the prestigious Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar at the hands of Shri Anurag Thakur, Hon. Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports. The institute received this award for its outstanding work in Sports promotion and development. Kulkarni received the award at a ceremony at Ashoka Hotel, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi on behalf of IISM.
IISM was last year bestowed the Rashtriya Puruskar virtually by the Hon’ble President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind. The National Sports Awards 2020 ceremony was held virtually for the first time in history with the President attending the event from the President’s House.
IISM, a pioneering initiative in sports management education, was founded by Kulkarni, who played three Tests and 10 ODIs, eleven years ago along with his wife Rasika. The Andheri-based institute offers professional courses for under-graduate and post-graduate students, and explores uncharted avenues of sports management education in the country.
On receiving the coveted award, Kulkarni said, “It is a matter of immense pride for IISM to be recognised for its contribution to sports management. Our first-of-its-kind initiative in sports management in India, is gaining popularity. This award will go a long way in making us strive to equip students with professional skills to lead meaningful careers in the sports industry. I’d like to extend gratitude to our students, alumni, parents, collaborators and associates for being a significant part of our wonderful journey. Moreover, I appreciate and am grateful for the constant support received from the Sports Authority of India and Khelo India towards our industrious efforts of doing something novel in the sports industry.”
IISM has several firsts to its credit. These include:-
- India’s first professional Sports Management institute to offer UG & PG programs in collaboration with the University of Mumbai & GICED
- IISM has produced India’s national anthem featuring the sporting heroes of the country
- Knowledge Partner to first-ever Khelo India University Games 2020 and Khelo India Youth Games 2020. IISM students curated the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for the same
- Launched Sports Academia Research Journal- India’s first ever Sports Research Journal, in collaboration with the Inside Journal, an International Online Journal. 5 reports by students published in SARJ:
- IISM published India’s first ever report on ‘Cricket World Cup 2011 Report’ in collaboration with Professor Ratnakar Shetty – former BCCI Chief Administrative Officer
- Report on Sports Infrastructure in India by IISM students
IISM launched a knowledge report on ‘Sports Development & Youth Engagement’ in collaboration with FICCI
Awarded ‘Best Sports Management Institute’ by multiple industry bodies like India Today, ASSOCHAM & World Education Summit, South Asian Partnership Summit & Business Excellence Awards
IISM achieved 100% internships and consistently good placement record. The students have been working in sporting organizations like BCCI, IMG Reliance, Star Sports, Olympic Gold Quest, FICCI, Rajasthan Royals, Sportz Interactive and Sports Federations like Indian Olympic Association, All India Football Federation, Paralympic Committee of India