Livestock sector contributes about 26.90 % of the total gross domestic product from agricultural sector in India. It provides house hold nutritional security and employment to small and marginal rural households. It is a security asset to be sold in times of crisis. Dairy sector is the major enterprise contributing about 2/3rd of the total income from livestock sector. Milk your way to success Milk your way to success
During the year 2017-18, national milk production was recorded at 176.3 million tonnes (20.12 % of world milk production i.e. 876 million tonnes) far ahead of USA (98.6 million tonnes) and China (39 million tonnes) and it has increased from 31.6 million tonnes during 1980-81. Further, the national level per capita milk availability has increased from 128 g/capita/day during 1980-81 to 375 g/capita/day during 2017-18 with Punjab state topping the table with as high as 1120 g.
Indian dairy industry organized sector is still processing less than a quarter of milk production in India, whereas in developed countries this figure is as high as 90%. The states with large proportion of organized processing are Gujarat (49.1%), Maharashtra (40.5%), Karnataka (39.5%) and Tamil Nadu (30.6%). Punjab state having highest milk productivity and highest per capita milk availability, ranks 10th with 10.1% in organized milk processing. Considering ever-increasing demand for quality milk products emanating from increasing urbanization, increasing income levels, changing food habits and increasing health awareness, the level of organized processing of milk need to be enhanced to meet the demand.
The number of institutions offering education in dairy increased from 10 in 1990 to 26 during 2019 that includes a couple of private institutions. Admission in states is based on common entrance tests for agricultural and animal science courses for filling 85% seats under state quota. The remaining 15%, seats are under ICAR quota that is filled through ‘All India Entrance Examination for Admission’ conducted by the ‘National Testing Agency’.
In future, the target of the national milk production is 254.5 million tons by 2021-22 and to bring more than 50% of milk produced under the organized sector for procurement as against the present 25%. To meet these targets and to enhance the milk handling levels, it is necessary to produce professionals, who understand the nature of this highly perishable natural food product.
It is value mentioning here that dairy education have a bright future with lots of job opportunities out there beside a choice to pursue higher studies here or abroad. The dairy graduates can also come up as entrepreneurs staring their own business in milk process making self-employment further as making job opportunities to different skillful and un-skilled persons, so turning into job suppliers instead of turning into job seekers.