The University Grants Commission is supposed to announce a slew of guidelines this week to facilitate a more liberalized and pliable framework for UG and PhD courses. It contains guidelines for the 4 year undergraduate courses which have been highly advocated in the NEP 2020. The guidelines were approved on March 10th in a meeting held by the UGC commission. As per the guideline, a credit score of 20-22 will be required per semester.
An emphasis will be put on developing and understanding all major subjects like Science, Social Sciences, Humanities, mathematical thinking, computational thinking, and vocational subjects in semester 1, 2 and 3. It’s only in semesters 4, 5and 6 that’s students will get to choose disciplinary or interdisciplinary areas of knowledge for specialization as major and minor. In semesters 7 and 8, students will have to take up a research project along with disciplinary and inter-disciplinary topics.
“The framework specifies curriculum components of FYUGP along with the credit apportionment. A suggestive credit structure for FYUGP with 160 credits is also given in the framework. The curricular framework and credit system developed for undergraduate programmes emulating the limitless learnings existed in the ancient India will throw infinite opportunities to students, we hope,” UGC Chairman M Jagadesh Kumar was quoted stating.
The UGC regulations 2022 have also been approved by the commission which is in sync with NEP 2020. Academicians speculate 60 percent of the seats shall be taken by students qualifying NET/JRF while the remaining 40 percent shall be occupied by university entrance tests.
Photo Credit: The Hans India