About GATE 2020
- IIT Delhi is the organising institute for GATE 2020.
- Information website for GATE 2020 is http://gate.iitd.ac.in
- GATE 2020 will be conducted on 25 subjects or papers
- Examination for all the 25 subjects will be conducted as Online Computer Based Test (CBT).
The online examination paper will include few questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using a virtual keypad. Rest of the questions will be of Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) type. The appearing candidates will use only an on-screen virtual calculator provided for the examination.
Important Points to Note for GATE 2020
- A candidate can appear only in any one paper of the GATE examination.
- GATE 2020 examinations will be held during the forenoon and afternoon sessions on February 1, 2, 8 and 9, 2020.
- Examination for some of the papers in GATE 2020 may be held in multiple sessions.
- Exact details of the complete examination schedule will be notified later on the GATE 2020 website.
- Candidates have to register and fill the application via online mode at GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). The link will be made available on GATE 2020 website http://appsgate.iitd.ac.in).
- The entire process of filling up of the application form and uploading of certificates/documents, etc. is in online mode only. The candidates should not send any hardcopy of his/her application form/documents etc. to IIT Delhi or any of the zonal GATE offices.
- The payment of application fees is through electronic mode.
- The Admit Cards for GATE 2020 would be available only on GOAPS website. Candidates can download their Admit Card from GOAPS website. No printed copy of the Admit Cards will be posted to the candidates.
- The candidate has to appear at the GATE Examination Centre on the date and time specified in the Admit Card.
- No request for any changes in the Centre or Date/Time specified in the Admit Card will be entertained.
- Physical calculators, mobile phones and wristwatches are strictly prohibited and candidates possessing these in the examination hall (even if not using) will be disqualified.
- Biometric information (Photograph and Fingerprints) for randomly selected candidates may be captured before the start of the examination.
- In all matters concerning GATE 2020, the decision of the GATE 2020 Committee will be final and binding on all the applicants.
- Although GATE 2020 will be held at different test centres across the country, the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, being the organising institute, bears the overall responsibility of conducting GATE 2020.
- In case of any claims or disputes arising with respect to GATE 2020, it is hereby made absolutely clear that the Delhi High Court in New Delhi alone will have the exclusive jurisdiction to entertain and settle them.
- A new paper called “Bio-medical engineering (BM)” will be introduced in GATE 2020
- For candidates appearing for Geology and Geophysics (GG) papers, separate rankings will be provided based on their selection of sections.
Candidates who have obtained/are pursuing their qualifying degree from countries other than India:
- Must have completed or are in the final year of their Bachelor’s degree (duration: at least 4 years) in Engineering/Technology or;
- Must have completed or are in the final year of their Post Graduate (Master’s) degree (duration: at least 2 years) in any relevant subjects in Science.
Documents Required for Eligibility
- In case, the candidate has already passed (in 2019 or earlier) one of the qualifying test he/she has to submit (i.e. upload) the degree certificate/provisional certificate/course completion certificate/professional certificate/membership certificate issued by the institute or society.
- In case, the candidate is expected to complete one of the qualifying criteria, he/she has to upload a Certificate from the Head of the Department/Institute or a copy of mark-sheet for Section A of AMIE. This certificate must mandatorily have the signature and seal of the Head of Institute/Department with current date.
Eligibility Document, as applicable, has to be uploaded only while filling the online application and not to be sent by post.
Important Dates of GATE 2020
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens||September 3, 2019|
|Closing Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website)||September 24, 2019|
|Extended Closing Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website)||October 1, 2019|
|Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City (an additional fee will be applicable)||November 15, 2019|
|Admit Card will be available in the Online Application Portal||January 3, 2020|
|GATE 2020 Examination Forenoon: 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM (Tentative) Afternoon: 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM (Tentative)||February 1, 2020|
February 2, 2020
February 8, 2020
February 9, 2020
|Announcement of the Results in the Online Application Portal||March 16, 2020|
GATE 2020 Papers
GATE 2020 will be conducted on 25 subjects or papers.
|Aerospace Engineering||Instrumentation Engineering||Agricultural Engineering||Mathematics|
|Architecture and Planning||Mechanical Engineering||Mining Engineering||Bio-medical Engineering|
|Biotechnology||Metallurgical Engineering||Civil Engineering||Petroleum Engineering|
|Chemical Engineering||Physics||Computer Science and Information|
|Production and Industrial|
|Chemistry||Statistics||Electronics and Communication|
|Textile Engineering and Fibre|
|Engineering Sciences||Ecology and Evolution||Life Sciences|
|Geology and Geophysics|