What is the one thing IIM Trichi does best for their student career?
Many things that IIM Trichi provides to our students:
- We ask student council with different committee member with functional committee (Finance, Marketing, HR, cultural, economics, CSR, international). These members call different industry experts from their respective areas for the interaction with the students. The program is Business Thought Leadership (BTL) Series.
- ‘Nishtha’ is another program where business leader address the upcoming management leaders. It is way of establishing the business connects.
- We are the only institution in the country, to conduct ‘Council International Week’ at IIM Trichy in the month of December every year. Distinguished 10-15 academicians from different countries of the world like USA, New Zealand, Australia or China gather to mentor our students. So instead of sending our students to abroad as a student exchange program by spending 4-5 lacs, we get the international best resource.
- We have mandate that all students should get exposure to learn any 2-credit course from the Horse’s mouth. Industry senior level executives should teach every course 2 sessions out of 20 sessions of 90 minutes each, 2 sessions.
- We divide the course equally between academicians and industry experts.
In the last four year, 7 IIM has opened but still yet to functional and suffer huge shortage of faculty. What is your comment?
IIM Trichy is a second generation IIMs. Many times what we pursue and what is the reality are the two different things. If we look at 1st generation IIMs (IIM-C, IIM-A, IIM-B, IIM-L, IIM-K, IIM-I and IIM-S) it is seen that moment it is born and it will takes its own time to establish and stands out. Some improvement will take place in normal pace. But in initial stage, they will get the resources and mentorship from older IIMs.
How can candidates sustain if he/she passes out Tier II or Tier III B-schools?
Cost of management is going up with packages too. And the applicant number is not going down and more or less, it is constant. We see a huge number of banks coming to our campus to provide loan without any collateral. Loans are being sanctioned due IIM’s standard, as they are aware of getting payback within a year. So the prices of fees is going up.
And the major problem in Tier II or Tier III B-schools is the way the institute invest in their students as compared to how we put it all together, like qualified faculty member, industry engagement that won’t happen which is the reason the question of employability arises in those institutions.
Are one year program are gaining popularity?
This year IIM Trichy batch strength has been increased from 182 to 235 in MBA course due to huge demands. And with 77% of them are experienced of more than 2 years. Each course has its own scope one year course is more popular among working executives and two year is better for fresher students in terms of learning perspective. As fresher, don’t know about much management and organization dynamics. Due to e-learning and part time course, many management courses are gaining immense demand but the trend of two year is continuing.
Is it possible to design shorter MBA course?
Shorter MBA courses are more famous in western universities as compare to India like Europe and USA. In India, two-year program is well suitable for its environment and ecosystem as it contains fresher and experienced. Many B-schools in Europe takes students who have experienced more than 5 years, so they are well aware of the industry other dynamics, so for them it is only require to open the window, they can see through and connect the business.