IC-IMPACTS and the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) are inviting researchers to submit proposals for projects that can be completed in two years (or less) which focuses on extracting Wealth from Waste.
Your proposal should offer biotechnology driven research-based solutions, reflect cost and space efficiencies required for deployment in cities such as Varanasi, Delhi, Kanpur, etc. or in locations with similar geographies.
Central to the successful proposal will be demonstrating a scalable technology that can be developed as a commercially viable option to extract wealth from wastewater and be applicable to rejuvenating polluted water bodies such as the River Ganga in India.
The proposal is divided into two parts: research and demonstration. While funding is divided into two parts: 40% for research and 60% for demonstration.
Successful applications will be relevant to Indian and Canadian ecosystems and conducive to commercialization, particularly in remote and low-resource settings in India and Canada. Successful applications will also include:
- Funds requested for the research portion of a proposal must be no more than about 40% of the overall budget requested, with the remaining 60% allocated to the demonstration portion.
- We are keen to see biotechnology solutions that develop and operate pilots or prototypes to demonstrate the developed technology.
- Strong potential to scale up research and build rapid demonstration capabilities that can be applied to polluted, sites and/or water bodies.
- Demonstration projects with TRL 6 or above, thereby reflecting a significant potential for successful commercialization of research and demonstration outcomes.
- Availability of strong industry partnership and/ or Indian urban or other local government bodies to assist with commercialization of the project. Please submit a letter of support from the industry/ local body partner with details of their potential cash-funding commitment.
- Achievable research-based deployment at a suitable location in India, within the two years of the project life cycle, concurrent with Part 1 (research) or as a follow up to Part 1 (research).
- Provide training opportunities for Highly Qualified Professionals (HQP), particularly master’s and doctoral students as well as postdoctoral fellows.
- All Canadian researchers eligible to receive funding from IC-IMPACTS and tri-council agencies in Canada are eligible to apply as Principal Investigators from Canada along with an eligible Indian Principal Investigator.
- All Indian researchers generally eligible to apply for DBT funding opportunities are eligible to apply as Principal Investigators from India.
How to Apply:
- Canadian researchers have to submit the proposals electronically via online IC-IMPACTS’ application portal.
- Indian researchers have to submit the proposals as a single consolidated PDF file by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Dates to Remember:
- Launch of call on IC-IMPACTS and DBT websites: 27 February 2019
- Project Submission Ends: 13 May, 2019
- Announcement of Successful Projects: June, 2019
- Project(s) are expected to start in August-September 2019 and should complete latest by the end of July-August 2021.
How to Submit:
All documents and forms required for a project application are accessible at www.ic-impacts.com
To submit a proposal to DBT, kindly follow the below instruction:
- Modalities of Participation and Funding for Indian Investigator(s)
- DBT’s Proposal submission proforma
Project Information: http://www.dbtindia.nic.in/wp-content/uploads/DBT-IC-IMPACTS_WfW_Call_Call_Text.pdf
IC-Impacts webpage: https://ic-impacts.com/
Contact person at the IC-IMPACTS, Vancouver, Canada:
Mr. Shapoor Marfatia,
Chief Operations Officer
Contact person at the DBT, New Delhi, India:
Dr. Amit Parikh