Banking in India is one of the most flourishing and promising sectors. In India banking exams are many but among them, the most popular is the IBPS PO conducted by Institute of banking personnel selection (IBPS).
- Aspirants between the age of 20 to 30 can take up this exam.
- IBPS PO is for recruiting Probationary Officers, Management trainees (PO/MT) with at least 17 Nationalized banks.
- IBPS conducts exams for the post of PO every year at the national level.
- Last year there were 4,336 vacancies.
- New joiners Basic Pay is 23,700 INR along with perks, benefits and pension.
That’s why every year about 7 – 10 lakh candidates apply for this exam.
Important dates for IBPS PO 2020
- Online application out for IBPS PO 2020 – August 2020
- Prelims Dates 2020 –
- 3rd October 2020
- 4th October 2020
- 10th October 2020
- Mains dates, 2020 – 28 November 2020
- Interview Dates, 2020 – January or February 2021
Eligibility criteria for IBPS PO 2020
Given below are the eligibility criteria for candidates who want to take IBPS PO in 2020. If a candidate fulfils all the criteria then only he/she will be applicable to appear for the exam.
- Well, the minimum age limit for the exam is 20 years.
- Whereas, the maximum limit is 30 years.
Some relaxations in the upper age limit are allowed for some categories –
- SC/ST candidates have relaxation in their upper age limit of 5 years.
- OBC category of non- creamy layer gets relaxation in their upper age of 3 years.
- A person with disabilities gets relaxation in their upper age limitation of 10 years.
- Ex-servicemen get relaxation in their upper age limit of 5 years.
- Citizens who are domiciled in Jammu and Kashmir between 1980-1989 get a relaxation in the upper age limit of 5 years.
- 1984 riot victims get relaxation in their upper age limit of 5 years.
Below given are the criteria for nationality or citizenship one should fulfil for examination.
- Should be a citizen of India or subject of Nepal / Bhutan.
- Tibetan refugees who came to India prior 1962 of 1st January are eligible to give the examination.
- People of Indian origin who have migrated from Pakistan/ Burma/ Sri Lanka/Uganda/United Republic of Tanzania/Zambia/Malawi/Zaire/Ethiopia/Vietnam/Kenya are now settled in India and will permanently reside here are eligible to give IBPS PO.
Aspirants those who want to appear for IBPS PO should have a graduate degree from recognised University/board or should have an equivalent qualification. One must have secured at least 60 per cent marks in Graduation.
Syllabus for IBPS PO 2020
The exam is divided into three stages and to get selected candidates to have to qualify each stage.
Stages of IBPS PO exam are
- Preliminary exam
- Mains exam
Sections of preliminary exam for 2020-
- Quantitative aptitude
● English language
Sections of mains exam
- Quantitative aptitude
- General awareness
- Reasoning and computer aptitude
- English language
Exam pattern of IBPS PO 2020
Since IBPS PO is divided into three stages, each stage has a different pattern.
Exam Pattern of Preliminary exam 2020
- Prelims hold total marks of 100.
- For every correct answer, 1 mark is awarded.
- For every incorrect answer, ¼ marks get deducted.
- The medium of examination is English and Hindi both except the English language section.
- This stage contains three (3) parts–English language, reasoning and quantitative aptitude.
- The time duration for solving each section is 20 minutes.
- The English language section has 30 questions.
- Quantitative and reasoning section has 35 questions respectively.
Mains exam 2020-
- The total number of questions is 155.
- Total marks are 200 and the total time duration of 3 hours.
- Reasoning and computer aptitude section contains 45 questions which have to be solved in 60 minutes and total marks for this section is 45.
- General awareness questions have to be solved in 35 minutes and the section contains 40 questions for 60 marks.
- English language section has to be completed in 40 minutes and this section contains 35 questions for 40 marks.
- Quantitative aptitude section has to be solved in 45 minutes and it contains 35 questions for 60 marks.
- Descriptive paper for the English language which is letter writing and essay writing are included in this section which has to be completed in 30 minutes and it is for 25 marks.
- Candidates who will pass prelims and mains exam of IBPS PO can sit for the interview round.
- In this round, various participating banks call test-takers for the interview.
Preparation strategy for IBPS PO 2020
Preparation for IBPS PO is same as other bank exams. One should always keep in mind preparation for any examination requires proper dedication and strategy.
Below given are the few tips and tricks to prepare well:
- Get well versed with the syllabus.
- Prepare realistic routine and maintain goals for daily basis.
- Previous year papers are must for cracking the exam so practice at least 5 years papers.
- Prepare notes in the crisp and short manner it will increase your retention power and help in the for revision.
- Join any test series or mock tests for practice.
- Revise thoroughly.
Recommended Books for the examination
- Quantitative aptitude for competitive exams by RS Aggarwal.
- Data interpretation by Arun Sharma.
- Banking Awareness by Arihant publications.
- Verbal and nonverbal reasoning by RS Aggarwal.
- Pratiyogita darpan for general awareness.
This three-stage examination is your gateway to be a banker with a prestigious bank. So, if you are planning for IBPS PO, start strategizing as only a few months are left. Most importantly stay fit and healthy. This is one exam which many students dream of cracking. So, all the best for your endeavour!.