Maharashtra Chief Minister, on Wednesday, assured it to the Maratha community that reservation will be allotted as soon as next month.
This comes after Maharashtra State Backward Class Commission submitted its report on whether the Maratha community in the state is in need of reservation. Reportedly, the report has concluded that the 25 percent of the state’s 32 percent Maratha population fulfills the criteria for backwardness.
CM Fadnavis said, “You should get ready to celebrate on December 1. There is no need to agitate anymore.” It is being said that after studying the report for over 15 days, submitted by the Maharashtra State Backward Class Commission’s report, the government will pass the proposal in the upcoming Winter Session of the Maharashtra Assembly.
Notably, Maharashtra already has 52 percent reservation. CM Fadnavis has ruled out accommodating Marathas in the existing category. However, it is likely to recommend an additional 16 percent reservation for the community which will bring the total figure to 68 percent.
In August, protesters, under the lead of Maratha Kranti Morcha, had hit the streets of Maharashtra seeking reservations in jobs and education, bringing parts of the state to a standstill. While Pune and Aurangabad witnessed violence, sit-in demonstrations took place in Mumbai and Thane.